About - CV - Hartmut Seichter
Table of Contents
technotecture [tech·no·tec·ture] is the online portfolio of Hartmut Seichter, Professor for Computer Graphics at Schmalkalden University of Applied Sciences. Hartmut has two decades of experience in Augmented, Mixed and Virtual Reality and co-authored over 50 peer reviewed publications and named on a number of patents as inventor.
- Mobile Augmented Reality and Interfaces
- Interfaces for Augmented Reality Aided Design (ARAD)
- Computer Supported Collaborative Design (CSCD)
- Software technology for high performance cross platform visualization
- Surface computing: tabletop or vertical, multi-touch interaction
Professor for Computer Graphics (2014-current) - Schmalkalden University of Applied Sciences
Appointed as professor for computer graphics at Schmalkalden University of Applied Sciences. My courses entail Computer Graphics, Virtual and Augmented Environments, Interactive Systems, Information Visualization and Programming. Further, I am responsible for the Graphics and Interaction Laboratory. I am co-founder of the research cluster MiT (Menschenzentrierte interaktive Technologien) at Schmalkalden University of Applied Sciences.
Deputy Director and Senior Researcher (2010-2014) - Graz University of Technology, Department of Computer Vision and Graphics
My main role was the project supervision of the Christian Doppler Laboratory for Handheld Augmented Reality at Graz University of Technology. I did research on novel interaction techniques for content creation, user interaction for navigation and public screen interaction and GPGPU methods on mobile devices. Further, I developed methods for interactive input on NFT tracking targets and various other AR related contributions. During my time at the CDL I was organizing a large number of workshops and meetings, bringing lots of AR researchers together. My work here led to various publications at high-ranking conferences such as CHI, MobileHCI and AVI. Further, our industry partner Qualcomm filed a number of patents where I am inventor or co-inventor.
Postdoctoral Fellow (2007-2010)
HIT Lab NZ, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Main responsibilities are project supervision for CALMARS (FRST grant UOCX680) and contributions to the FRST project ‘Accessible AR’.
- TIM edutainment physics game utilizing AR and rigid body simulation
- Twisted Pair library - a multi-platform scene-graph for Mobile Phones and desktop machines
- ComposAR interactive realtime AR authoring environment for media designers and artists
- SSTT scalable cross-platform AR tracking library for desktop computing and mobile phones Research consulting for companies including:
- Fusior sensor fusion SDK for multi-touch interaction for surface computing for StoryInc PR company
- PresentAR Augmented Reality multimedia delivery tool for Disney/Walden Media and uLearn Technologies
Research Associate (2005-2006)
HIT Lab NZ, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Development of osgART (Augmented Reality Toolkit for OpenSceneGraph) – licensed through ARToolworks Inc and HITLabNZ Ltd.
- Development of cross-platform Augmented Reality authoring tool called ComposAR – licensing under negotiation
- Development of osgSWIG language wrapper for OpenSceneGraph
- Research and Development of Augmented Reality game for home robot platform Rovio by wowwee
- Supervision for the development of osgODE, osgVerse
PhD Student (2002-2005)
The University of Hong Kong
- working mostly on my PhD
- various design studios
- PhD (4-year program), The University of Hong Kong, Title of Thesis: Augmented Reality Aided Architectural Design, Hong Kong, 2007
- Diplom Ingenieur (Dipl.-Ing., ger.: engineer, 5-year program), Topic: Architectural Sketching in Virtual Environments, Bauhaus University, Weimar, 2002
- Deputy Director of the Christian Doppler Laboratory for Handheld Augmented Reality. Coordination of the project goals and research work with project partner Qualcomm Inc. (Budget > EUR 0.5M Euro/a)
- Project lead for CALMARS (FRST UOCX 0608) and coordination of HIT Lab NZ work in the EU project CALLAS (FP6-2005-IST-5-34800). Budget NZD850000.
- Project co-writing and researcher for the NERF/MORST project Accessible AR 2007-2012 (FRST UOCX 0704), (Budget NZD 2M).
- Project coordination of the HIT Lab NZ participation in the EU project IPcity (FP-2004-IST-4-27571).
- Project co-writing and coordination EURASIApac Beteiligung des HIT Lab NZ, EU Projekt, 2010. (Budget 300.000NZD/a)
- Project collaboration MARCUS/IRSIS Neuseeland / EU Ausstauschprogramm - 2008-2011.
- 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013 and 2011 named “Inventor” of Graz University of Technology (high amount of taken up IP)
- 1999 Bauhaus’99 award for Neufert Projection installation
- University of Hong Kong Postgraduate Scholarship Grant
Conferences and Workshops
- Organization of four consecutive Winter Augmented Reality Workshop WARM’11, WARM’12, WARM’13, WARM’14
- Poster Chair IEEE ISMAR 2018
- Science and Technology Co-Chair Europe for IEEE ISMAR 2017
- Workshop Chair IEEE ISMAR (2012-2013)
- Session Chair IEEE ISMAR (2021)
- Journal Committee IEEE VR (2022)